Discover Pass Exemptions and Exceptions

Your purchase of the Discover Pass supports recreation on state lands. However, you may not need the Discover Pass if:

  • You are camping in a Washington state park.

     Your camping reservation stub or camping fee receipt serves as your permit for the duration of your stay in the park where you have paid for a campsite, vacation house, environmental learning center, yurt or cabin. If you visit other state parks in the area, you will need an annual or one-day Discover Pass. 
  • You already have one of the following passes or permits:

    • A Vehicle Access Pass. This pass is issued with most hunting and fishing licenses and provides motor vehicle access to lands managed by WDFW. (You will still need a Discover Pass to access lands managed by DNR and State Parks).
    • State Parks Discount Passes (disabled veterans, disability, foster family, senior limited income). The Washington State Legislature created our pass programs for certain visitors to Washington state parks. (You will still need a Discover Pass to access lands managed by WDFW or DNR).
    • Permanent Disability placards or license plates. The Dept. of Licensing issues Washington state disability permits and license plates.  Holders of permanent disabled parking placards are exempt from needing the Discover Pass on State Parks lands. (You will still need a Discover Pass to access lands managed by WDFW or DNR).  Learn more.
    • Natural Investment Permit allows you to launch your boat from a State Parks boat launch. If you have this annual permit, you will not need a Discover Pass in a state park. You will need the Discover Pass for boat launches managed by DNR and WDFW, and you will need the Discover Pass if you are launching in a state park using a daily launch permit. Learn more. 
    • Sno-Park permit: A one-day or seasonal Sno-Park permit is required to use State Park Sno-Parks (Hyak, Crystal Springs, Pearrygin Lake, Lake Wenatchee, Lake Easton, Mount Spokane, Fields Spring and Easton Reload). 
       Note: Federal recreational lands passes and the Northwest Forest Pass are not valid for access to state recreation lands.
  • You are driving an off-road vehicle (ORV) with the required ORV tabs.

    Generally, ORVs are non-street-legal vehicles. A Discover Pass is required for the street-legal vehicle that transports your ORV to a state recreation site. The trailer does not require a pass. Street-licensed vehicles, such as dual-sport motorcycles or four-wheel-drive vehicle, will be required to display a pass.
  • You have a business agreement with one of the agencies.

    Individuals with leases, easements and other contracts may not need a Discover Pass if their contract with the agency specifically exempts them from the pass. The agencies will issue an agency business pass in these circumstances.
  • You are a Chelan PUD customer.


    Chelan PUD customers can get free day-use vehicle access to Wenatchee Confluence, Lincoln Rock and Daroga state parks when they display the Chelan PUD Public Power Benefit Day Use Parking Pass. Application information is available on the Chelan PUD website. The Public Power Benefit Day Use Pass is offered as part of a Chelan PUD pilot study. The PUD pass may be used in place of a Discover Pass at these three parks, which are owned by Chelan PUD and operated by Washington State Parks.     
  • You drive or park on ocean beaches.

    However, the pass is required in developed State Parks parking areas.
  • You volunteer on state recreation lands.

    Volunteers who work 24 hours or more on agency-approved projects are eligible for a complimentary Discover Pass. The pass is not needed to participate in eligible volunteer projects. Ask the volunteer coordinator for a temporary pass to use during your volunteer work. Learn more. 
  • You visit a Washington state park on a ‘Free Day.’ 
    The Washington State Parks and Recreation Commission provides “free days” each year when you do not need a Discover Pass for day access to parks.The State Parks “free days” are chosen to provide some weekend, holiday and seasonal opportunities. Examples include:
    • Martin Luther King, Jr. day (January)
    • Washington State Parks Birthday (March)
    • Earth Day (April)
    • National Trails Day and WDFW Free Fishing Weekend (June)
    • National Get Outdoors Day (June)

Still have questions? Visit our frequently asked questions or call the Discover Pass customer service office at (866) 320-9933.